Wednesday, March 9, 2011

War, War Is Stupid









While on our way to Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) City, Vietnam, I was mentally arguing with myself on the official soundtrack for the trip. I was about to borrow Tour of Duty's OST, Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones, but thought it was too testosteronic. So I settled with Miss Saigon's The Heat is On in Saigon, Last Night of the World and Sun and Moon. (Listening to them now while writing this post). It was Superfriends' (several others absent) first time to go on an out-of-the country trip together. They are my girly super girl friends and I was wondering how our first trip ended up in a tour oozing with testosterone. Hush! Actually, it was my suggestion to go there thinking of the exquisite Vietnamese cuisine. Ooops! I didn't know that the footprints of war are still heavily lodged in the place.

Superfriends

Girly girl

Girly "mess hall"

Girly barracks


So when the guided tour started, I can't help but mentally play Culture Club's War Song:

"War, war is stupid
And people are stupid
And love means nothing
In some strange quarters
War, war is stupid
And people are stupid
And I heard them banging
On hearts and fingers, war!"






Part of our city tour on the first day was a visit at The War Remnants Museum. The exhibit there is proof that what Boy George is whining about is all true. Part of the exhibit showed the savagery of war. Of course, this is one-sided. After snapping a few pictures, we did not linger much because we did not want to absorb the gruesome mood. (But how come we were late in showing up at the bus? hehehe)



Bang!

Toy solider, not a boy-toy



Although the Vietnamese claim that they "won" the war, but the casualties show that no one really wins in any war. Be it between nations or among neighbors, colleagues, friends, families and clans.






Perhaps (just my hypothesis) to make up for the grim traces of war, a favorite pastime in Saigon is wedding pictorials. Young couples pose in front of the camera all geared up for this sport even though no actual exchange of vows was to take place. Too bad we were not able to take a shot at one of these exhibitions of love. Yes, make love, love, love, not war...

1 comment:

  1. This post makes me weepy. Thinking about how much fun I've missed with you ladies!

    ReplyDelete