Saturday, March 10, 2012

Olde-Worlde Breakfast at Cafe 1927 - My Second to the Last Breakfast in Roxas City

(Feb. 10, 2012)


It’s a gloomy morning. From the humongous windows of Cafe 1927, I see overcast skies hovering over the morning Roxas City traffic rush (predominated by tricycles) with the sun hiding somewhere. I believe I have right now the most romantic and quaint view of this laid-back place. The large window beside my table is as if a home theatre system showing me a vista of the heart of the city where the Cathedral, City Hall, Plaza, Ex-President Manual A. Roxas Monument, the Museum, flower stalls, The Chess Park with the picturesque river, bridge and city skyline are vividly visible. Where the inn is situated, I would say that it is my favorite street in the city. I am a sucker for non-busy, tree-lined shaded old-looking streets like that adjacent to Silliman University in Dumaguete City.


The only thing marring the landscape is the yellow billboard showing the smiling shameless faces of politicians... oops, stop and zip it! Sorry, the weather has infected me. And now it starts to drizzle but simple city life continues... This is my wake-up call that after here, hubby and I go on; we still have a long way to go to living a full life. This jolted me from my half-asleep-like stupor and got me moving on my feet. Got a handful of things to complete, such as disposing of our LPG tank (which is at the moment in the car) before I can leave this place.

I wish there’s wifi in Cafe 1926. But such a technology would be out of place in such an old-fashioned establishment. Judging from its name, you can tell, right? But the vista is just perfect to get words brewing in my mind. Maybe the non-existence of wifi points to the fact that this is not the right place to be doing online stuff, but to be writing my heart and soul out. An olde-worlde-themed Starbucks right in this location would just be perfect and would potentially be my favorite branch, if it were so. I guess there is just no viable market here for such coffee that is worth a third of the daily wage of minimum wage workers. But if I were to have a coffee shop of my own, this would be the location and I know that a coffee-lover friend would love the site too, even if it isn’t exactly a corner spot, as we have once dreamed of a quaint coffee shop with drive-thru facilities.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment